Wednesday, August 15, 2007

I Finally Finished a Book

I did it....I finally did it.....I finished a book. I recently finished "Rickles' Book." It's the memoirs of comedian Don Rickles. If you're a fan of the Rat Pack and the glamorous Vegas of the '50s, then you will love this book.

Granted, I didn't finish "Ulysses" or "The Brothers Karamazov," but it was still a very entertaining and funny book. If you know who Rickles is (in my generation he's famous for being the voice of Mr. Potato Head in Toy Story) then you will be enthralled by this book. I couldn't help but having Rickles' voice in my head as I read. It felt as though I was sitting across a table over dinner while he told me the story of his life.

It's always good during the summer to take a step away from classics and read carefree, easy reads. I'm not much of a reader, but I made a pact with myself to read actual books last year. Sure enough, I've read more books this year (4-ish) than I have in the past 4 years. Kind of sad.

I know that reading helps expand vocabulary (just read my friends Chris and Cole's blog). Reading is a vital skill that has been overlooked recently with the popularization of TV. However, I think the Internet is helping reading's cause. Evidence of this is the popularization of online news. (Also, blogs.....duh)

Now although I began this entry with the intentions to call attention to my glorious accomplishment of finshing one of the most poorly written books in recent history, I implore you to read. Read the real deal, but avoid "The Brothers Karamazov" it's a snoozer. You may ask, "Why 4-ish books? " Well, the -ish is the partly finished "Crime and Punishment." No offense to my Russian Literature amigos.

1 comment:

CB said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.